How to use chats in GetResponse?
This feature is in beta testing
Chat is a feature that allows you to connect with your audience in a completely new way. You can now talk directly to your contacts or landing page visitors without leaving GetResponse.
Chats are available either to your subscribers via a link to a chat page in an email, on your landing page visitors via a chat window, or through a direct link to the chat page.
Chat page view:
Landing page view:
We will show you contact and visitor information on the page where you can reply to your chat conversations.
For chats started from a landing page we will display the contacts as visitors.
For chats coming from a link in a message we will show their subscriber information, such as their name, engagement score, list. By clicking on the arrow, you can open their contact page.
- We keep the chat history for the contact or visitor as long as they don’t clear their browser cookies.
- You will have a special page to manage your chats under Menu >> Chats.
- All the changes made to the chat window and the chat page are displayed in real time.
How to set up chats?
When you first open the Chats page by going to Menu>>Chats, we will show you an onboarding explaining all the main features. Click Let’s go to proceed or Skip the tour. Afterwards, you will be redirected to the chats settings page directly.
If you want to set up chats after the onboarding:
- Go to Menu>>Chats.
- Click on Settings.
- Click Edit next to Chat availability.
- Change your chat availability and choose from these options:
- Always available – the chat feature will be always enabled and your contacts can message you anytime.
- Away – contacts will get an auto reply after they send their first message in the conversation. You can customise the message in the Auto reply message section of the settings.
- During specific hours – set up specific times when you will be available for chatting. You can add different days and hours to create a schedule of the chats availability. When not online, people will get the auto reply as if the chats were set to “away”. Note: The hours are set according to your account timezone.
- Disabled – turns off the chat features from all the pages.
Note: When you disable chats, the chat button will disappear from landing pages on which it was disabled and we will display a notification on the hosted chat page that the chats have been disabled. You can set up a message that will display on the chat page when the chats aren’t available.
Chat window appearance
While on the setting page, you can customise chat window looks.
To do that:
- Click Edit next to Chat window appearance.
- Change the welcome title. Invite people to chat with you. Use 20 characters or less.
- Adjust the welcome message. Add extra information to your welcome. Use 60 characters or less.
- Select your main chat color.
- Select the text color.
- Add your avatar. Show people who are talking to them. Add your photo or a company logo.
- Select the chat button. We’ll display the button on each landing page that has Chats enabled.
- Choose if you want to display the welcome title on the button. It helps you prompt your visitors to start a conversation.
Once ready, click Save settings.
For chats opened through a link in a message, we host it on a special page. Set up the page hosting your chat window.
To do that:
- Click Edit next to Page appearance.
- Provide a page title. Let people know where they’ve arrived. Use 30 characters or less.
- Add page description. Share additional details with your contacts. Use 80 characters or less.
- Select your background color.
- Select your text color.
You can also copy the direct link to your chat page in order to share it outside of GetResponse.
Once ready, click Save settings.
Auto reply message
You can set up your auto reply message when you’re away from chats or outside of your working schedule.
- Provide your auto reply text. Use up to 100 characters.
- (Optional) Switch the auto reply message to be displayed if you don’t reply after a specified time. For example, if you don’t reply to the first message after 2 minutes, even though the chats are enabled, we will post the auto reply after this time.
Click Save settings to continue.
Visitor capture form
Ask chat visitors for their contact information and follow up with them later. You can collect contact’s email address (required) and name (optional) to be able to get in touch with them later.
- Select when your capture form should be enabled: - Always – it’s sent automatically after someone’s first message in the conversation. - Only in Away mode – this will appear after the Auto reply message once your chats are set to away or outside your schedule. - Never – the form is never sent automatically.
- Provide the message you want to appear above the capture form.
- Type in the message you want to display after the form has been submitted.
- (Optional) check if you want to make the Name field required.
Note: It’s not necessary to fill out the form to continue the chat, the form is optional. The contact’s data will be added on the chats manage page, but will not be added to the list in your GetResponse account.
You can also manually send the capture form during the chat. To do that, simply click this icon:
Once filled out, the option to send the capture form will disappear and you will see the added information in the visitor details and in the chat.
Once you’re ready, click Save settings.
Install code on site
What you can also do is add the chat window to your own website.
To do this:
- Click on Edit next to Install code on site.
- Copy the code visible in the first box.
- Click Close.
- Go to your website admin panel and install the code on your page by accessing the code and placing the script before the
</body>tag on your website.
- Reload the page after installing the code.
Note: If you don’t have a website, you can use the link to your chat page on your blog, eBay listing, or any other page.
Another thing you can set up are notifications that will let you know when people want to talk.
- Click Edit next to Notifications.
- Click Enable notifications to start receiving them in your browser. Notifications are enabled per browser, so if you want to receive them on a different device/browser, make sure to go to settings again and enable them.
- Confirm in your browser that you allow showing the notifications.
- Select if you want to be notified when there’s a chat message.
- Select if you want to be notified when there’s a new chat request.
You also have the option to download the chat app to your mobile phone (Android or iOS).
Click Save settings to finish the setup.
How to enable chats on a landing page?
Chats on landing pages allow you to conduct conversations with the site visitors. All people visiting it will have the option to start a chat with you.
To enable the chat on landing pages:
- Go to Menu >> Lading pages.
- Hover over the action menu (vertical ellipsis).
- Select Edit settings.
- Scroll to the bottom till you see Chats.
- Click on Chats.
- Enable chats by using the switch.
Note: You won’t be able to edit the chat icon or move it to a different position on the landing page editor.
How to add a chat link in a message?
You can direct people to the chat page with a simple link, hyperlinked image or a button on your message.
To do that:
- Go to the message editor.
- Add a button/hyperlink/image:
- For a button, click on it and from the drop-down What is the link type? select Chat.
- For a hyperlink, select your text and then click on the hyperlinking icon and select Chat from the dropdown and click Insert.
- For an image, click on it and in the menu click Add link. Select Chat from the dropdown and click Insert.
Now everyone who clicks on that link will be redirected to a special page which hosts your chat window. There they will be able to write their message to you.
How to manage chats?
In order to manage chats, proceed to Menu >> Chats.
You will have a page where you can manage chats and reply to your contacts or visitors.
At the top, you can switch between active chats, closed chats and statistics, as well as access settings.
On the left side, we will display a search window and the chats you have running right now. We will show the person’s name or visitor number, the last message and how much time has passed since the last message.
In the middle, you will be able to see the visitor or contact name, where they came from, and the chat history. You have the option to mark a chat as closed. To reply, write your message at the bottom, you can also add emojis.
Note: marking a chat as closed will move it to the Closed chats tab, but the moment your contact replied, the chat will reopen automatically. You can download a transcript of a closed chat if you go to Closed chats, click on the chat, and then click the Download button.
On the right side, we will show detailed contact information or simple details of the visitor. You will be able to see the source of the contact, when the chat started, how long it’s been active and which platform they are using.
Where can I find chat statistics?
To find chat statistics:
- Go to Menu >> Chats.
- Click on the Statistics tab.
There you will see a breakdown of all the chats.
We will show you:
- The total number of chats and how many were closed and the closed chat rate,
- Chats source: Email, Landing page, or page chat (coming from the direct link to the chat page).
- Chat participants: Contacts vs. Visitors.
- Average number of messages,
- Average first response time,
- Average chat duration.
How to check if the person on chat is still on the page?
We display a green dot near the person’s name to indicate that they are still on the chat page and can see your messages immediately. When they leave the page, the indicator will disappear
How to block someone from chat?
If you need to block someone on chats, you can do so from the menu in the right of the chat screen by clicking the actions menu (vertical ellipsis) and selecting Block visitor.
You will get a pop up asking if you want to block this person. Press Yes, block them to confirm.
We will block the person from sending you more messages (based on their device or email address they are using) and the conversation will be moved to closed chats. You can see the conversation later on in the Closed chats tab >> View blocked chats.
You can also unblock a person from that view. Go to Closed chats >> View closed chats >> Click on the chat name >> hover over the actions menu (vertical ellipsis) >> Unblock visitor.
How to send an email through chats?
In order to send an email through chats, you need to switch the chat mode to email at the bottom of the chat window.
When someone is no longer on the page and you have their email address, we will switch to the email mode by default. The email will be sent from our email address email@example.com and will have the title “Reply to your chat conversation”
We include your email text and up to 10 last messages from the chat in the email.
How can I use chats in the mobile app?
In order to use the chats in the mobile app, you have to download it first. To do that:
- Go to Menu>>Chats >> Settings.
- Click Edit next to Notifications.
- Click on the button representing your device system (iOS or Android).
Then you will be prompted to download your app.
On the mobile app, you will have access to all the features of the chat page, so you can conduct chats, close them, check customer details or statistics as well as change settings.